Chuu Chee Fish ( ฉู่ฉี่ปลา ) is whole fish in kaeng chuu chee curry paste.
This very tasty distinctly Thai fish dish. This recipe serving for 4 persons.
- 650g whole bream or similar fish
- 1 metric cup vegetable oil (reserve 1 tblsp for stir-frying curry paste)
- 1 tsp kaeng chu chee ( แกง ฉู่ ฉี่ ) curry paste
- 6 dried Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 metric cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- fresh cilantro
- fresh red chili peppers
- In a wok or large frying pan, over high heat, fry fish using most of the vegetable oil, until golden on one side. It will take about five minutes.
- Lower heat and, using tongs, gently turn fish over.
- Turn up heat again and cook until golden. Using tongs again, lift fish gently onto a serving plate.
- In the wok, gently stir-fry the curry-paste and lime leaves in remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Add coconut milk and fish sauce. Simmer for about five minutes.
- Add sugar and simmer for another five minutes.
- Taste to see if extra coconut milk, fish sauce, or sugar is required.
- Pour sauce over fish and garnish with cilantro and chopped chili peppers.