Hat Yai Fried Chicken or “Gai Tod Hat Yai” (ไก่ทอดหาดใหญ่). Usually sold by muslims as halal food and to eat with sticky rice.
- 1 kg chicken
- 4o cloves garlic
- 30 pepper seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tbsp seasoning sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar (brown sugar prefered)
- 4 tbsp wheat flour or rice flour
- cooking oil (for frying)
- Wash chicken. rinsing water from it.
- Pound garlic, pepper, coriander and cumin then mix with salt, sugar and sauce for marinating chicken at lease 3 hours then mix with flour.
- Fry marinated chicken.
- 10 g chilli pepper
- 30 g minced garlic
- 4 g coriander root
- 1 tsp salt
- 120 g sugar
- 50 cc vinegar
Heat vinegar with salt and sugar until salt and sugar dissolved. Pound chilli pepper and coriander root and minced garlic to boiled vinegar. Heat again until boil.
Stir fry Kang Kong or Pad Phak Bung (ผัดผักบุ้ง)
- Kang kong (water spinach)
- Minced garlic
- Chopped chilli pepper
- Soy bean paste (เต้าเจี้ยว)
- Oyster sauce (or soy sauce for veg)
- Cooking oil
Wash kang kongs. Cut them into 2 inch.
Heat a wok and add cooking oil. Wait until hot (or some smoke), add kang kongs all ingredients. Stir fry until aroma.
“Lod Chong” (ลอดช่อง) or cendol is dessert consists of jelly noodles and coconut milk syrup.
- 1 cup rice flour (add some of arrowroot starch prefered).
- 5 cups limewater.
- 10 pandan leaves (or pandan flavor).
- sliced of cooked taro or muskmelon (optional).
- Wash pandan leaves. Slice and crush them into water.
- Thresh flour with limewater. Mix them into water with pandan then heat mixture. Always stire mixture.
- Take mixure into ricer/spaetzle maker. Press mixture into room temperature water for making cendol.
- Drain water from cendol. Eat with coconut milk syrup and ice, taro and muskmelon.
Coconut milk syrup.
- 500 g palm sugar.
- 500 g shredded coconut.
- 3/4 cup water with jasmin flavor.
- 1/4 tsp salt.
- Scrape coconut with jasmine flavor water. Separate cream of coconut milk.
- Mix palm sugar and salt into coconut milk then boil.
Som Tam (ส้มตำ) or Green Papaya Salad. Well known dish from north eastern of Thailand.
- Shredded papaya
- Sliced tomato
- Yard long beans
- Sugar (palm sugar preferred)
- Lime juice
- Fish sauce
Take all ingredients in mortar. Crush and mix them.